jueves, 6 de agosto de 2015

Progress Report

Hello all,

The GSoC is almost over. It's been a great experience so far and if you've been following my blog you know that I have decided to continue my involvement with the community, so this is only getting started.

With that in mind and some support from my mentor (Ralf Gommers), some tasks have taken a backseat while others have gone beyond the original intended scope. Most notoriously, the NaN policy which started out as a side note to a simple issue and has become the single largest effort in the project, not just in lines of code but also in community involvement (you can follow the discussion here or the PR here).

NaN policy is now in bike-shedding phase (reaching consensus on keyword and option names) but it is only the start of a long term effort that is likely to span for months (maybe years, depending on pandas and Numpy).

The NIST test cases for one way analysis of variance (ANOVA) are also coming along nicely and once they are done I will continue with the NIST test cases for linear regression.

Right now there are no major roadblocks but it is worth mentioning that Ralf and I have agreed to move the pencils down date to Aug 18th. This is due to the fact that I have to move to Canada soon to begin my master's degree, and this way I can travel to Toronto on Aug 20th to look for a place to live and also spend some quality time on vacation with my girlfriend Hélène, who has been a great support for me during this transition in my life. I feel like she has earned it just as much as I have.

Classes begin on Sept 16th. Once I feel like I'm settled into the new rhythm, I will get back to work picking up on loose ends or side tasks (like extending NaN policy's coverage) so the project will not suffer. I would also seek Ralf's guidance to start integrating myself into the pandas, numpy and possibly scikit-learn communities because I plan to steer my career towards data science, machine learning and that sort of stuff.

I will need to figure out where my motivation takes me, but this is a challenge that makes me feel excited about the future. GSoC may be almost done, but for me this is only just beginning and I could not be happier. As always, thank you for taking the time to read about my life.

Until next time,
Abraham.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario